Skip to main content

Today

   Today. I woke up about 3 times during the night it felt like every muscle in my body was twisting and turning for the fun of it, and it felt kind of like the burn after a long run only this burning doesn't go away. Usually if you wake up twisting it is going to be an all day twisting and I have to learn to deal with the pain that it brings. Even my chest and rib cage feel like they are twisting. My hands are so shaky I dare not do the dishes because there probably wouldn't be one that is not broken after I have finished, but I try to do what I can.
   I will not lie there are sometimes I feel ashamed at how little I do around the house to help my wife. Today she willingly got up and is going to finish cleaning my parents house, by the way It is something she enjoys it get her out of the house and she gets to spend time talking to our Daughter. She mowed yesterday, which incidentally is one of her favorite things to do. I am sorry if this may be mistake filled, but like I said my hands are shaky. I am not going to change it because I want it ti be authentic, So if you are grammar Police I am sorry I would like you to read my story for what it is, and have compassion on someone today that may not be as fortunate as you are.
  Sometimes we get so caught up in our lives we forget that there are those that are suffering much
worse than we are.
  My sister has had Dystonia since she was sixteen, and was not able to walk for a good portion of her life. She had the D.B.S. Surgery and she was able to walk for a time, and I know that she is thankful for that, but then her battery died and the Doctors were not able to get her in to get it changed quickly enough, so the Dystonia reverted back. She is not well, but she is grateful for what she does have, and that is something that I am learning, and will continue to learn. When I got this Illness my first emotions were anger, frustration, and feeling sorry for myself, which I admittedly sometimes still do even after having the disease for almost 10 years.
   I doubt my self-worth still I get discouraged, and I know that I am never supposed to get depressed, but there are days when the darkness seems so great I do not want to get out of bed, because of the feeling of worthlessness, and that I think those around me would be better off if I was not around holding them back from the life they could have if I was not in it. Those thoughts are there they linger in the back of my head, and I do not think they will ever go away, and yes I am not afraid to admit sometimes I cry, even though men are not supposed to in this culture, I am not persuaded of that theory, but I cannot let those thoughts consume me, or I never would get out of bed.
   I thank God for the  encouraging people he has placed in my life, and he encourages me daily. This is still a tough disease to battle because my medicine is always getting switched it gets rather expensive going to the doctor every month, and knowing more than half of your income goes to the medical profession, but that is something I cannot change no matter how much I want to.
   so as you go through your day encourage someone, put a smile on there face. You do not know what they might be going through so do not pretend that you do. be thankful for the health that you have. I may have woke up with pain, but that is how I know I am alive. There are many people who didn't wake up today. Go enjoy the sunshine if you can for the rain, snow and winter are sure to come.
   This is why I say to anyone who asks "How are you doing today", I am struggling, and I am not sure that will always be my answer,b ut for now that is the only thing I know how to describe the mental, financial, and physical toll that this disease takes, but through it all I have something to be thankful for today! I woke up. God Bless
    If you follow my story please click the follow button on the top right of the page so I know. thank you for reading, and if you did not make it through thank you for stopping buy.

Comments

  1. This verse is a focus of mine. Ephesians 5:20 “Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;”

    I don’t believe I’ll ever reach what this verse is asking me to do...it doesn’t just say be thankful for small things. It says to ALWAYS be thankful for ALL things. At times I’m so far from that, but it will be a life long goal. Our Heavenly Father loves me, and only He knows what I need. Everything he gives me, everything he does, every circumstance in which he places me... I’m to be thankful for it. I do have a wonderful hubby who never complains in all his care for me.I never thought I’d be a mommy, yet I have a wonderful daughter that God blessed me with . Getting out of bed is a huge gift!! I know that now. I put on a fake smile sometimes,I’ll admit it, but that fake smile, well it actually makes me feel better. God never said life would be easy...and this verse certainly isn’t, but he does give us blessings along the way that sometimes we take for granted. Love you, sweet brother...and you are always in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mind - Lost at Sea

Anyone had day where they cannot concentrate on any one thing, but everything is moving so fast even  your words are slurred Such is the case I find myself in today, and many Dystonia patients are the same way. These days are very difficult because no one can understand what you are trying to communicate, and as you can imagine this is frustrating for both parties involved especially when all day I here huh,? What was that? Ok say that again. I just usually give up. The feeling of you having no control over your mind is very difficult. You can’t control what you are thinking about or when that thought will disappear, and you’re mind moves on to another topic. This can be very difficult when talking to someone you just jump from one subject to another, and they can’t keep up and neither can you because you don’t remember what you have or have not said, or if you said anything at all. Sometimes you think you are saying something, but it stays in your head, and other times things you

A Desperate Struggle

This week has been a particularly poor week for me physically and mentally. It started off with the diagnosis of neuropothy last week and it has begun to get worse through this week. I am only going on 2 hours of sleep because  Dystonia, along with many other diseases,  doesn't allow your mind to slow down everything just seems to move faster and faster in your mind as you lie there trying to get some rest, but rest seems to allude me.    I know I am not supposed to dwell on what was, but sometimes that is easier said than done as with most things. I feel trapped in my own head and I cannot seem to get out! I dream of Dystonic storms now. When I am asleep I am dreaming about being awake having a storm, or not knowing where I am, and then ultimately it leads to my waking up and having a storm. I cannot tell you how many times I have been dreaming about having a Dystonic storm only to wake up and find out that it is real. It is very weird for me. This week has been so hot I haven

The Constant Pain

One thing I have not really addressed here is the constant pain that Dystonia causes. There is never a moment when Pain is not a reality, because with this disease pain is your reality. There are definitely Times that I feel better than other, but my muscles never stop.    During a recent Dystonic storm I was so exhausted, but my muscles kept twisting and turning I looked like an owl because my neck was turned almost completely around, and my legs would not stop running, and there is nothing that can be done. I have to wait it out, and wait for it to finish. It is like you have run a marathon and you cannot go any farther, but you keep going only because it will not stop. I have gone to the hospital several times with these episodes that do not stop, and they try to give me an I.V. and it does not work because my arms and hands are twisting and thrashing, and I get told to stop it, does not make much sense because if I could have stopped it I would not be in the hospital in the first