Skip to main content

Speaking Dystonia

     There is so much in life we take for granted. We go about our days and never really think about the small things . One of those is just our day to day talking. I know not everyone with dystonia deals with the speech issue but if you do it is definitely interesting.

     After Josh and I were married we had moved into a new house and his sister had come to help us unpack. I remember I had made him something to eat and asked him if he wanted something to drink. He said he wanted some klim. That was the first sign of dystonia but we didn't know it at the time. If you read klim backwards its milk. We laughed about it and didn't think much of it. Then one day he said we needed eeffoc snaeb, that's coffee beans. So it began!

    We now have our own language and communications. Sometimes his text will be backwards. I'm not talking just the words but the whole text. The last word will be first with the rest of the text following in the wrong order and spelled backwards. I've become a pro at reading them except when he text me in French. He has had whole conversations with his mother in French and didn't even realize it. On any given day he couldn't do that unless he is in dystonia mode. There are times when his tongue twist and everything he says is mumbled. Sometimes I understand and sometimes I don't get it and it is very frustrating to both of us but we do the best we can.

     Let's not forget about the times when we are out somewhere and he hears someone speaking in a different language and starts to mimic. He's not make fun, his brain just starts having him copy what he is hearing. I have to talk to him and try to get him to hear how he is suppose to sound and it takes awhile but eventually he gets back to normal.

    Another language we speak isn't words but movements. Sometimes he can't talk or move so we have come up with other ways of communicating. There is blinking of the eyes or squeezing my hand. There are also times he stops breathing and if I don't see whats happening right away he will flap his arms and then I jump into action.
 
     There have been situations when he can move but not speak so he get his phone and writes out what he's trying to say. Life can get very interesting and frustrating but it is always an adventure. Granted it's an adventure neither of us want to be on but it is what the Lord has given us so we make the most of it. We laugh through the funny, cry through the sadness, rejoice through the good times, and struggle through the painful but we are always there for each other. Our vows were in good times and bad in sickness and in health. We had no clue when we made that commitment to each other what we were saying! When things get tough its best to stay true to you vows instead of running away. It may not be the easiest thing to do but it's the right thing to do.

Comments

  1. I hadn’t really thought much about it, but we definitely have our own way of communicating. With my daughter, I use sign language when I can use my hands. However, with my hubby it’s grunts, certain sounds, or certain movements. You do a great job with Joshua, and I’m SO glad he has you. Love you, Rachel, and thankful my brother married his dream girl. May God bless your family as you travel the journey He has for you. 💗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mind - Lost at Sea

Anyone had day where they cannot concentrate on any one thing, but everything is moving so fast even  your words are slurred Such is the case I find myself in today, and many Dystonia patients are the same way. These days are very difficult because no one can understand what you are trying to communicate, and as you can imagine this is frustrating for both parties involved especially when all day I here huh,? What was that? Ok say that again. I just usually give up. The feeling of you having no control over your mind is very difficult. You can’t control what you are thinking about or when that thought will disappear, and you’re mind moves on to another topic. This can be very difficult when talking to someone you just jump from one subject to another, and they can’t keep up and neither can you because you don’t remember what you have or have not said, or if you said anything at all. Sometimes you think you are saying something, but it stays in your head, and other times things you

A Desperate Struggle

This week has been a particularly poor week for me physically and mentally. It started off with the diagnosis of neuropothy last week and it has begun to get worse through this week. I am only going on 2 hours of sleep because  Dystonia, along with many other diseases,  doesn't allow your mind to slow down everything just seems to move faster and faster in your mind as you lie there trying to get some rest, but rest seems to allude me.    I know I am not supposed to dwell on what was, but sometimes that is easier said than done as with most things. I feel trapped in my own head and I cannot seem to get out! I dream of Dystonic storms now. When I am asleep I am dreaming about being awake having a storm, or not knowing where I am, and then ultimately it leads to my waking up and having a storm. I cannot tell you how many times I have been dreaming about having a Dystonic storm only to wake up and find out that it is real. It is very weird for me. This week has been so hot I haven

The Constant Pain

One thing I have not really addressed here is the constant pain that Dystonia causes. There is never a moment when Pain is not a reality, because with this disease pain is your reality. There are definitely Times that I feel better than other, but my muscles never stop.    During a recent Dystonic storm I was so exhausted, but my muscles kept twisting and turning I looked like an owl because my neck was turned almost completely around, and my legs would not stop running, and there is nothing that can be done. I have to wait it out, and wait for it to finish. It is like you have run a marathon and you cannot go any farther, but you keep going only because it will not stop. I have gone to the hospital several times with these episodes that do not stop, and they try to give me an I.V. and it does not work because my arms and hands are twisting and thrashing, and I get told to stop it, does not make much sense because if I could have stopped it I would not be in the hospital in the first