Skip to main content

The Dark Place

I had to go on disability three years ago today, and I was proficient in PHP, CSS, Python, Helped schools with WordPress issues, and set up and designed networks using DHCP  and also DNS worked with them helping with web design and front end and all of the backend work as well
   Dystonia does not allow me to use those skills that I worked so hard to perfect, and it feels like all the time and effort I put in was wasted because now I can do it if i could do it. There are some days that I am fine and feel like I could go back to work and resume right where I left off and then there are other days that I couldn't
    This is mentally taxing and discouraging knowing that you can do something, but not get the opportunity to do it. I actually loved what I was doing, and it was providing a decent living for my family, and now I cannot. I feel I have let them down because I am supposed to look out for them and there well being, but with everything getting so expensive I am not sure how long we will stay above water.
    I feel like I have much to offer, just nowhere to do it, and for me that is a hard place to be. Today mentally I am in the Dark Place that I have referred to that everyone tells me I should not go, but I cannot help it. My mind goes there anyway. I feel trapped. I could do so much, but I can't. Today is not a mentally healthy day I have many such days due to this disease and it causes stress which isn't good for Dystonia anyway.
    Alone is a good word for the day, sometimes with Dystonia you feel alone. I look around and see the hustle and people going here and there and doing different jobs, and I am stuck, or maybe moving back words I do not know. I know there will be people who read this and think that I should not ever feel this way, but it is what it is. With Dystonia the patient is the only one who knows what they are feeling, and sometimes you feel things and you cannot describe it.
   The feeling of being on an airplane knowing it is going to crash, because it is having more and more mechanical issues, but not enough to crash the plane just yet. It goes little by little and you feel eventually it will crash and that will be the end there will be no more trying, Just more pain as you look as the ground gets closer and there is nothing you can do to stop it, but wait. That is kind of the mental state that I have today, and these are some of the worst days because it affects everyone around you, but I cannot just snap out of it there is no magic that will remove my mind from this dark place, and if you are not in my position it cannot be understood.
   Disability had made me feel like an outcast because I wonder what good am I to society what can I bring to the table to help other people. Sometimes I cannot get out of bed.
   I know that there are people in worse positions than I am, but that does not change the mental state that I am in. I know that it will pass, but when Dystonia causes days like today it is rough, and I still after three years have not found a way to successfully deal with days like today.
   I have so many skills that I worked toward and cannot use any of them so I feel they are just wasted skills. Sorry to the readers that this is not an encouraging read, but a look into the Dark place that Dystonia can take you mentally, and I feel trapped. I know that it will pass, but I do not know when it is just a waiting game for me.

Comments

  1. I can empathize, I have a similar skill set, website coding and design. I've lived with Dystonia for about 40 years now, started with a barely noticeable tremor to full cervical dystonia aka spasomodic torticollis. There is that feeling of being an outcast, visibly different. Picking up contracts working from home helped, I couldn't function in an office environment. Will follow your blog, best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mind - Lost at Sea

Anyone had day where they cannot concentrate on any one thing, but everything is moving so fast even  your words are slurred Such is the case I find myself in today, and many Dystonia patients are the same way. These days are very difficult because no one can understand what you are trying to communicate, and as you can imagine this is frustrating for both parties involved especially when all day I here huh,? What was that? Ok say that again. I just usually give up. The feeling of you having no control over your mind is very difficult. You can’t control what you are thinking about or when that thought will disappear, and you’re mind moves on to another topic. This can be very difficult when talking to someone you just jump from one subject to another, and they can’t keep up and neither can you because you don’t remember what you have or have not said, or if you said anything at all. Sometimes you think you are saying something, but it stays in your head, and other times things you

A Desperate Struggle

This week has been a particularly poor week for me physically and mentally. It started off with the diagnosis of neuropothy last week and it has begun to get worse through this week. I am only going on 2 hours of sleep because  Dystonia, along with many other diseases,  doesn't allow your mind to slow down everything just seems to move faster and faster in your mind as you lie there trying to get some rest, but rest seems to allude me.    I know I am not supposed to dwell on what was, but sometimes that is easier said than done as with most things. I feel trapped in my own head and I cannot seem to get out! I dream of Dystonic storms now. When I am asleep I am dreaming about being awake having a storm, or not knowing where I am, and then ultimately it leads to my waking up and having a storm. I cannot tell you how many times I have been dreaming about having a Dystonic storm only to wake up and find out that it is real. It is very weird for me. This week has been so hot I haven

The Constant Pain

One thing I have not really addressed here is the constant pain that Dystonia causes. There is never a moment when Pain is not a reality, because with this disease pain is your reality. There are definitely Times that I feel better than other, but my muscles never stop.    During a recent Dystonic storm I was so exhausted, but my muscles kept twisting and turning I looked like an owl because my neck was turned almost completely around, and my legs would not stop running, and there is nothing that can be done. I have to wait it out, and wait for it to finish. It is like you have run a marathon and you cannot go any farther, but you keep going only because it will not stop. I have gone to the hospital several times with these episodes that do not stop, and they try to give me an I.V. and it does not work because my arms and hands are twisting and thrashing, and I get told to stop it, does not make much sense because if I could have stopped it I would not be in the hospital in the first