There are thoughts that knock politely.
This was not one of them.
It came like something scratching from inside the walls—quiet at first, then persistent, until I could no longer pretend I had not heard it.
My mind has always been an odd place to live. Schizophrenia has made some corridors darker than others, and there are days when even my own thoughts seem like strangers wandering through rooms I thought I knew.
Yet sometimes, in that strange wilderness, a question appears that refuses to be dismissed.
I was thinking about sinners.
Not us.
Them.
That is how we usually think of it, isn't it?
The sinner is always somewhere else.
He is the addict.
The prisoner.
The man whose life has become a ruin.
The woman whose past we whisper about.
The one we hope Christ will save—provided their salvation does not require them to sit too close to us.
And then the thought turned its pale face toward me:
What if the worst sinner who ever lived is not someone history remembers, but the person staring back from the mirror?
I wanted to reject it.
After all, there have been monsters.
Men whose names became synonymous with cruelty. Lives so dark that we comfort ourselves by believing we could never become such things.
But sin is a strange mirror.
We measure it by what can be seen.
God measures the heart.
And suddenly, the murderer seemed less frightening than the man who could condemn him.
The addict less frightening than the Christian who thanks God for Grace while refusing to extend it.
The prisoner less frightening than the respectable man who has built a prison inside his own righteousness and calls it holiness.
And then I saw myself beneath the Cross.
Not the cleaned-up version.
Not the man who knows the verses.
Not the man who can speak beautifully about Grace.
Me.
The hidden me.
The jealous me.
The proud me.
The unforgiving me.
The me who can look upon another man's ruin and, for one terrible moment, feel grateful that his sin is easier to see than mine.
And I began to wonder:
What if this is the sin we rarely confess?
Not that we are sinners.
But that we secretly believe we are better sinners than everyone else.
How far must Christ descend to find such a creature?
That question became unbearable.
Because we speak of His descent as though He merely stepped down from Heaven.
But He came into our filth.
He bore what holiness hates.
He entered the darkness we had made and carried its weight upon Himself.
And He did not look at us and say,
“Stay where you are. You are too ruined for Me.”
He came closer.
He stooped.
And after all that—
we sometimes refuse to stand beside the people He came for.
We lower our voices.
We avert our eyes.
We worry what others might think if they see us beside them.
As though their sin might somehow stain the righteousness we never possessed.
And there, beneath the Cross, I find the most frightening figure of all.
Not the sinner outside.
The sinner inside.
The one who has been forgiven enough to forget what forgiveness means.
The one who knows Grace intellectually but withholds it personally.
The one who can weep over Christ's wounds and remain unmoved by the wounds of the people Christ died to redeem.
Perhaps that is why this thought troubles me so deeply.
Because if I were asked to name the worst sinner who ever lived, I would instinctively search history for a name.
But what if Heaven would have me search the mirror?
What if the worst sinner I can imagine is not the one who committed the darkest deed—
but the one who can stand beneath the blood-stained Cross,
look upon another ruined soul,
and quietly think,
“At least I am not like him.”
And perhaps that is the final horror.
Christ knew exactly what we were.
And still—
He came.
So the question is no longer whether they are worthy of His love.
The question that keeps me awake is much darker:
If He had to descend that far to find us,
who did we imagine ourselves to be
when we began looking down?

Comments
Post a Comment