Skip to main content

The Storm Within: Understanding the Mind of Someone Living With Bipolar Disorder

 


"I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust."

— Psalm 91:2

There are battles people fight that cannot be seen by the human eye.

There are storms that leave no bruises on the skin, yet they leave scars upon the soul. There are wars fought quietly behind a smile, behind a handshake, behind the words, "I'm doing okay."

This is one of those battles.

What I share here is not meant to be a medical explanation of bipolar disorder or a description of every person's experience. It is simply my story—my journey, my struggles, and the lessons God has been teaching me along the way. If my words help someone feel seen or help another person better understand a loved one, then sharing them is worth it.

When My Mind Reaches the Heavens

There are moments when my mind feels unstoppable.

Ideas come faster than I can express them. Energy seems endless. The world feels brighter, and dreams suddenly seem within reach. It can feel like standing on the highest mountain, believing anything is possible.

But what people often cannot see is the battle taking place beneath the surface.

The thoughts that race.

The inability to slow down.

The exhaustion that comes from a mind that refuses to be quiet.

From the outside, it may look like confidence, excitement, or passion.

Inside, I am often fighting to find balance.

When the Darkness Comes

Then the storm changes.

The mountain becomes a valley.

The energy disappears.

The thoughts that once raced become difficult to gather. Even simple decisions can feel overwhelming.

Getting out of bed can feel like climbing a mountain. Conversations become exhausting. Tasks that once seemed ordinary suddenly feel impossible.

Some of the hardest words I have ever heard are:

"What's wrong with you?"

Because I have asked myself that same question more times than I can count.

"Why is my mind fighting me?"

The Pain of Being Misunderstood

One of the deepest wounds of living with bipolar disorder has not always been the illness itself.

Sometimes, it has been the loneliness.

It is watching people judge the storm without ever experiencing the rain.

They see the reaction but not the battle behind it.

They see the moment of frustration but not the hours of anxiety that came before.

They see the silence but not the thoughts screaming inside.

Over time, I have learned something important.

I am not my diagnosis.

I am not my worst moment.

I am not the storm.

I am a child of God walking through the storm.

The Fear of Passing the Storm Down

One of the heaviest burdens I have carried is the fear of seeing pieces of this battle in my children.

There is a pain that is difficult to explain when a parent wonders,

"Did I pass this struggle to them?"

Every parent wants to protect their children from hurt, heartbreak, and hardship.

So when something difficult enters a child's life, the heart naturally asks,

"Could I have prevented this?"

Then my faith gently reminds me of something I must never forget.

God was not surprised.

He did not discover my children after they were born.

He knew them before they took their first breath.

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee..."
— Jeremiah 1:5

My children are not mistakes.

Their lives are not accidents.

Their struggles do not mean God has abandoned them.

God Did Not Create a Mistake

Sometimes people ask,

"Why would God allow mental illness?"

I do not pretend to have every answer.

But I do know this.

The same God who created the mountains also created the valleys.

The same God who painted the sunrise walks beside me through my darkest nights.

He knew my mind before I understood it.

He knew my struggles before I ever had a name for them.

He does not look at me and ask,

"What's wrong with you?"

My Savior simply says,

"I know you."

Because He made me.

Because He has never left me.

The Person Behind the Diagnosis

If you know someone living with bipolar disorder, I encourage you to look beyond what you can see.

Look beyond the actions.

Look beyond the difficult moments.

Ask about their heart.

Ask about their battles.

Offer patience instead of judgment.

Offer compassion instead of criticism.

Sometimes the strongest people are the ones fighting battles they never asked to fight.

A Final Thought

My mind has known storms.

My thoughts have become battlefields.

My emotions have risen higher than the mountains and fallen deeper than the oceans.

Yet through it all, one truth has never changed.

I am still God's creation.

My children are still God's creation.

And even in my darkest moments, I have never walked alone.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me..."
— Psalm 23:4

The world may see the storm.

But my Savior sees my soul.

And He understands.

Comments