Skip to main content

When the One Who Knew Where You Belonged Is Gone

 



"The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit."
Psalm 34:18

There is a kind of grief that few people talk about.

People expect you to miss your mom. They expect the tears. They expect the holidays to hurt. They expect you to think of her when you hear a certain song or smell a familiar recipe.

What they don't expect is that you lose part of your identity.

My mom didn't just love me. She understood me.

She knew the parts of me that I never had to explain. She knew when I was hurting before I spoke a word. She knew when I was trying to be strong while quietly falling apart. She knew when to laugh with me, when to challenge me, and when I simply needed someone to sit beside me.

Most of all...

She knew where I fit.

That may sound like a strange thing to say, but when someone knows you that deeply, they become an anchor. You never question whether you belong because, with them, you always did.

Then one day that anchor is gone.

No one tells you that grief can make you feel like an outcast.

You can stand in a room full of people and still feel invisible. Friends know your name, coworkers know what you do, church members know your face, but very few know your heart. You begin to wonder where you belong now. You search for a place that feels like home, only to discover that "home" was never just a place—it was a person.

For a long time, I thought I was trying to find where I fit.

The harder I searched, the more I realized I wasn't looking for a new place. I was trying to get back something that could never be returned this side of Heaven.

That realization hurt.

It still does.

But somewhere in the middle of the questions, Christ began teaching me something I could not have learned any other way.

My mother knew me because God first knew me.

Her love was never the source of my identity. It was a reflection of the One who created me.

When she called me "son," it comforted my heart.

When Christ calls me "child," He restores my soul.

That doesn't erase the loneliness.

There are still days when I walk into a room and feel like I don't belong anywhere. There are still moments when I wish I could ask my mom a question, hear her laugh, or simply sit in the quiet with her.

Grief doesn't disappear because we have faith.

Faith gives us Someone to walk beside us while we grieve.

I have come to realize that God isn't simply leading me to a place where I fit.

He is teaching me that my belonging has never depended on a place, a title, a career, or even another person.

It has always depended on Him.

That lesson is not learned overnight.

It is learned one lonely day at a time.

One prayer at a time.

One tear at a time.

One step at a time.

Maybe that's why Jesus called Himself the Good Shepherd. Sheep don't always know where they're going. They simply learn to recognize the Shepherd's voice. Slowly, they stop trusting the path and begin trusting the One leading them.

I'm still learning.

Some days I still feel like I don't fit.

Some days the ache is almost physical.

But little by little, Christ is reshaping what "home" means.

Not by taking away my memories of my mom.

Not by asking me to stop missing her.

But by reminding me that the heart searching for home was made for Him all along.

The Poem

She called me son; the world stood still,
Her love could calm my restless will.
She knew the place where I belonged,
Before I knew it all along.

Then Heaven closed that gentle door,
And I have fit in here no more.
I search through faces, rooms, and years,
Still hiding questions with my tears.

They know my name—but not my soul.
They see the scars, not what they stole.
I wander where I do not fit,
Still asking why... still learning it.

Yet in the night, when silence stays,
My Saviour walks these lonely ways.
He gently whispers, soft and slow,
What only Heaven seemed to know:

"Though earth has left you feeling torn,
In Me, your soul is being reborn.
You need not fear where you have roamed—
My child... your heart is still My home."

"Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory... My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever."
Psalm 73:23–24, 26

Comments