Skip to main content

A little Compassion and Empathy can go a long way, but our society has forgotten

 




Mental illness is a condition that affects millions of people worldwide. Unfortunately, there is still a stigma surrounding mental illness, and many individuals with mental health conditions are not receiving the care and compassion they deserve. It is essential that people understand the importance of giving compassion and patience to those with mental illness, as it can significantly impact their recovery and quality of life.


 It is crucial to understand that mental illness is a legitimate medical condition that requires treatment and support. Individuals with mental illness may struggle with their symptoms, which can impact their ability to perform daily activities and interact with others. Therefore, it is essential to provide a supportive and non-judgmental environment for individuals with mental illness. It is essential to listen to their experiences and validate their feelings, as this can help them feel heard and understood.


 Individuals with mental illness often face social isolation and discrimination. They may feel ashamed or embarrassed about their condition, and therefore, may not seek the help they need. Providing compassion and patience to individuals with mental illness can help reduce this isolation and discrimination, as it helps them feel accepted and valued as a person. This, in turn, can help them build confidence, trust, and hope, which are all essential components of recovery.


Thirdly, giving compassion and patience to individuals with mental illness can also benefit their loved ones. Family members and friends of individuals with mental illness often face their challenges, such as financial struggles, social isolation, and the burden of caregiving. Providing support to these individuals can help them cope with the challenges they face, and in turn, improve the quality of life for the person with mental illness.


 giving compassion and patience to individuals with mental illness can also benefit society as a whole. Mental illness can have significant economic costs, such as lost productivity, healthcare expenses, and reduced quality of life. Providing compassionate care and support to individuals with mental illness can help reduce these costs and improve overall well-being.


 Having compassion and patience to individuals with mental illness is essential for their recovery and well-being. It is crucial to understand that mental illness is a legitimate medical condition that requires treatment and support. Providing a supportive and non-judgmental environment can help reduce social isolation and discrimination. Furthermore, giving compassion and patience to individuals with mental illness can benefit their loved ones and society as a whole. By working together to provide compassionate care and support, we can help individuals with mental illness live fulfilling and meaningful lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waking up to A Dystonic Storm

Dystonia is a neurological movement disorder that causes involuntary muscle contractions, leading to abnormal postures and movements. Dystonic storms, also known as dystonic crises, are a rare, except in my family it is quite common, but severe form of dystonia that involve prolonged and intense muscle spasms throughout the body. These spasms can be extremely painful and cause significant physical and emotional distress.  Waking up in the middle of the night to a dystonic storm can be an incredibly traumatizing experience. Believe me!! I will never forget the first one for me. One moment I was lying on the bed just fine, and the next I was twisting and contorting in ways I cannot explain.  The sudden onset of intense muscle contractions can be extremely frightening, leaving individuals feeling helpless and out of control. The pain associated with the spasms can be excruciating, and there is no way to  find relief or comfort.  In addition to the physical symptoms, dystonic storms can al

A Desperate Struggle

This week has been a particularly poor week for me physically and mentally. It started off with the diagnosis of neuropothy last week and it has begun to get worse through this week. I am only going on 2 hours of sleep because  Dystonia, along with many other diseases,  doesn't allow your mind to slow down everything just seems to move faster and faster in your mind as you lie there trying to get some rest, but rest seems to allude me.    I know I am not supposed to dwell on what was, but sometimes that is easier said than done as with most things. I feel trapped in my own head and I cannot seem to get out! I dream of Dystonic storms now. When I am asleep I am dreaming about being awake having a storm, or not knowing where I am, and then ultimately it leads to my waking up and having a storm. I cannot tell you how many times I have been dreaming about having a Dystonic storm only to wake up and find out that it is real. It is very weird for me. This week has been so hot I haven

Stress and the Urge to Run

   One Very new symptom for me to understand was stress. before I got this disease I really did not get "stressed" about things because I didn't understand it. I would go through my day and whatever would happen would happen, and I would leave it at work, and I would come home and my wife would be under stress, and I can remember asking her why? This disease gave me the answer I was looking for in that category.    Things that most people would not consider stress I , or should I say my mental state has caused me to see as stress, and when a Dystonic patient has extra stress added to there daily routine they are likely to feel worse and have more storms. For me any type of argument is hard for me to take if it is real, my brain does not deal with it well, and I do not know if this is the case with my other siblings or if this is just me. I can tell if 2 people are playfully arguing, but when it gets into a heated discussion my body brain goes crazy, and that is when I am