Skip to main content

Waking up to A Dystonic Storm

Dystonia is a neurological movement disorder that causes involuntary muscle contractions, leading to abnormal postures and movements. Dystonic storms, also known as dystonic crises, are a rare, except in my family it is quite common, but severe form of dystonia that involve prolonged and intense muscle spasms throughout the body. These spasms can be extremely painful and cause significant physical and emotional distress. 

Waking up in the middle of the night to a dystonic storm can be an incredibly traumatizing experience. Believe me!! I will never forget the first one for me. One moment I was lying on the bed just fine, and the next I was twisting and contorting in ways I cannot explain.  The sudden onset of intense muscle contractions can be extremely frightening, leaving individuals feeling helpless and out of control. The pain associated with the spasms can be excruciating, and there is no way to  find relief or comfort. 

In addition to the physical symptoms, dystonic storms can also have a significant impact on an individual's mental health. The unpredictability of when a dystonic storm may occur can create a constant state of anxiety and fear. This can lead to poor sleep quality, which can have further negative impacts on mental health and overall well-being. 

For those of us who have and I know some in my family still do have dystonic storms on a regular basis, the trauma can be compounded. The constant fear and anxiety associated with the condition can lead to a sense of hopelessness and despair. The impact on daily life can be significant, with individuals often unable to work or engage in social activities due to the unpredictable nature of the condition. 

 Seeking support from mental health professionals has helped me cope with the emotional toll of the condition. Although  this can be frowned upon by those around you, or that has been my experience 

 Waking up in the middle of the night to a dystonic storm can be a traumatizing experience. The intense physical and emotional symptoms associated with the condition can leave individuals feeling helpless and out of control. Seeking medical and emotional support is essential for managing the condition and improving overall quality of life. I am grateful to have a Wife that has been by my side through the whole disease. This is not always the case!! She has been the best caretaker I could have been given. A true blessing from my heavenly Father to me!!

 Even though this has been difficult on her she continues to do what she has to do to take care of me as well as the rest of her family and for that I am thankful 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Desperate Struggle

This week has been a particularly poor week for me physically and mentally. It started off with the diagnosis of neuropothy last week and it has begun to get worse through this week. I am only going on 2 hours of sleep because  Dystonia, along with many other diseases,  doesn't allow your mind to slow down everything just seems to move faster and faster in your mind as you lie there trying to get some rest, but rest seems to allude me.    I know I am not supposed to dwell on what was, but sometimes that is easier said than done as with most things. I feel trapped in my own head and I cannot seem to get out! I dream of Dystonic storms now. When I am asleep I am dreaming about being awake having a storm, or not knowing where I am, and then ultimately it leads to my waking up and having a storm. I cannot tell you how many times I have been dreaming about having a Dystonic storm only to wake up and find out that it is real. It is very weird for me. This week has been so hot I haven

Stress and the Urge to Run

   One Very new symptom for me to understand was stress. before I got this disease I really did not get "stressed" about things because I didn't understand it. I would go through my day and whatever would happen would happen, and I would leave it at work, and I would come home and my wife would be under stress, and I can remember asking her why? This disease gave me the answer I was looking for in that category.    Things that most people would not consider stress I , or should I say my mental state has caused me to see as stress, and when a Dystonic patient has extra stress added to there daily routine they are likely to feel worse and have more storms. For me any type of argument is hard for me to take if it is real, my brain does not deal with it well, and I do not know if this is the case with my other siblings or if this is just me. I can tell if 2 people are playfully arguing, but when it gets into a heated discussion my body brain goes crazy, and that is when I am