Skip to main content

A Typical Dystonic Day


This is my Life. Today I woke up and stumbled around because I had no balance, no one could understand me because I spoke in cursive, that is the joke around our house. I couldn’t get my medicine so my wife had to do it all the while trying to clean up the house. Usually I have to have one cup of coffee in the morning to get the wheels somewhat turning, if I have any left.
   Roger Hall made me a cane that has been very helpful, and I thank him for that because without that I would be on the floor most of the day with my wife having to pick me up. My thoughts may be somewhat scattered today because that is the state I am in.
    With Dystonia the electrical impulses do not always go to the correct place, that is why sometimes I cannot speak, but I can still sing, sometimes I stutter but when I sing I do not. It is all a mystery to me and to all my Doctors. My sister has been going through this for well over twenty years. Today as well my legs feel like one giant Charlie horse, very painful, My wife is getting things ready because her brother is having a garage sale and we need some money to get the car out of the shop.
    It was interesting when I counted the receipts for this month and found out between prescriptions, and Doctors appointments,  and the cost of medical insurance it came almost to $1300 Dollars, and for those of you on social security disability you know that amount is about what you get when on SSDI. Somehow the Lord takes the money I make and stretches it sometimes through gifts from our church and sometimes through individuals. I thank the Lord for all his provision, because without them we would not make it.
    I wanted to go back to Maine this year and see everyone, but with the flooded and basement and lack of funds it doesn’t look like I am going to be able to go, but as I have learned I do not get to do what ever I want.
     I can’t tell you how many times I have lost my train of thought during this writing, but this is a typical day in my life. I want people to understand and know the difficulties of the disease physically and financially.
     We do not qualify for any kind of help be cause somehow what I make is a wage the legislature of the state of Oklahoma thinks I can live on, I have asked my representative to try an live on this wage with a family of four and pay insurance and buy groceries get the prescriptions for his children and see how comfortable he is, or if he can make it on what he has decided is a livable wage. Not to my surprise he did not answer. I am glad my Gog can supply all my needs and I do not have to rely on the government!
   I am sorry if this bored you, but I think it is important to know the struggles that Dystonia brings mentally, financially, and physically. I think I have reached my limit of typing things people can understand, or I may go through this later and wonder what I was thinking.
If you have read this I appreciate it you can subscribe by clicking the subscribe link on the top of the page or follow by clicking the follow button. If you would follow it would be blessing to me, and if you choose not to because you do not want people to know that you know me that is fine as well. 😊 I don’t know there may be some out there! God bless, and remember to pray for the struggling families I know I am not the only one.

Comments

  1. Josh, I had no idea life was so difficult with this disorder. I am not familiar and so am interested in learning more about. I am very sympathetic to you and your family. God be with you as you struggle to cope.




    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mind - Lost at Sea

Anyone had day where they cannot concentrate on any one thing, but everything is moving so fast even  your words are slurred Such is the case I find myself in today, and many Dystonia patients are the same way. These days are very difficult because no one can understand what you are trying to communicate, and as you can imagine this is frustrating for both parties involved especially when all day I here huh,? What was that? Ok say that again. I just usually give up. The feeling of you having no control over your mind is very difficult. You can’t control what you are thinking about or when that thought will disappear, and you’re mind moves on to another topic. This can be very difficult when talking to someone you just jump from one subject to another, and they can’t keep up and neither can you because you don’t remember what you have or have not said, or if you said anything at all. Sometimes you think you are saying something, but it stays in your head, and other times things you

A Desperate Struggle

This week has been a particularly poor week for me physically and mentally. It started off with the diagnosis of neuropothy last week and it has begun to get worse through this week. I am only going on 2 hours of sleep because  Dystonia, along with many other diseases,  doesn't allow your mind to slow down everything just seems to move faster and faster in your mind as you lie there trying to get some rest, but rest seems to allude me.    I know I am not supposed to dwell on what was, but sometimes that is easier said than done as with most things. I feel trapped in my own head and I cannot seem to get out! I dream of Dystonic storms now. When I am asleep I am dreaming about being awake having a storm, or not knowing where I am, and then ultimately it leads to my waking up and having a storm. I cannot tell you how many times I have been dreaming about having a Dystonic storm only to wake up and find out that it is real. It is very weird for me. This week has been so hot I haven

The Constant Pain

One thing I have not really addressed here is the constant pain that Dystonia causes. There is never a moment when Pain is not a reality, because with this disease pain is your reality. There are definitely Times that I feel better than other, but my muscles never stop.    During a recent Dystonic storm I was so exhausted, but my muscles kept twisting and turning I looked like an owl because my neck was turned almost completely around, and my legs would not stop running, and there is nothing that can be done. I have to wait it out, and wait for it to finish. It is like you have run a marathon and you cannot go any farther, but you keep going only because it will not stop. I have gone to the hospital several times with these episodes that do not stop, and they try to give me an I.V. and it does not work because my arms and hands are twisting and thrashing, and I get told to stop it, does not make much sense because if I could have stopped it I would not be in the hospital in the first