Skip to main content

Understanding what "I can't" Means

  One of the more frustrating  things, I find, is people really do not understand that when I say, "I cant" that does not mean I do not want to.
  I have been told to "push through the pain", "suck it up. You can do it". With this disease that is not the case. If I find myself overdoing it then my wife and I will reap the rewards of my overdoing it.
   I can give you can example, but this one was my fault. I wanted to play basketball a few years back, I had not had the disease very long, nor did I understand the consequences of what would happen if I participated in said basketball game. The game lasted about 20 minutes and it was probably 80 degrees outside, and about five minutes after I finished I knew I was in trouble. I could feel the twisting starting in my legs and by the time we got home my head was twisted around so I looked like an Owl. This went on for 3 hours, and it was a painful three hours, I decided that for 20 minutes of basketball this kind of pain was not worth it, but so many people had said push through, you can do it! there was a lack of understanding on my part and on the part of the crowed with which I found myself. I have since understood the times, although it may be difficult, I have to say I can't do something, and it is not because I do not want to it is because of the consequences that will arise after the activity is over.
    I have come to terms, sort of,  with the fact that there are times that I cannot do certain activities, but few around me see the consequences or have to live with these consequences so they see it as, I do not want to. Until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes you cannot know nor imagine what will happen if I try to do something I know will cause the whole family to be in an uproar,  just because I was selfish and did what I wanted, and did not consider my family and what they would have to go through afterwords. It is my duty as a husband and a Father to determine what is the best course of action for my family. Most of the time those decisions are very difficult! I can't be at church all of the time I want to, but cannot because I must think of my family, If I know I do not feel well and am going to have a seizure it would be irresponsible for me to go anywhere that includes church because my wife will have to try to get me in the car, and we will disrupt the church service people will turn around and stare as it is going on, and the people at church do not need that distraction, and their distraction will only be for a few minutes. My wife does not know how long she will have to try and take care of me, and I did it all because I was selfish. With this disease I cannot operate that way. Some may understand, some may try to understand, others won't care and will think I just do not want to do anything.
     I cannot control what people think about this disease they do not have it, but I do. I would ask that you try to understand. If I say I cannot do something I really can't, and chances are if yo had the disease you would want people to be understanding of what the consequences are of overdoing it. I am trying to learn the limits of what I can and cannot do, and it is very difficult, but this is my everyday so we as a family have to try as best we can to manage it. all I ask is that people I come in contact with, people I know try to understand. I want to do all kinds of things during the week, but I can't do that either.
     So the next time someone with Dystonia or any other disease says they cannot do something please just drop it. Do not keep begging them to do it because you do not see what happens after "the fun" is over! you get to go home and not think about what others may be going through, and we need to be reminded that others have pain physical and spiritual that we do not know about so just understand and let it go. Movement disorders are difficult and most of the time no one sees the pain or struggle everyday is.
   If you have read this. Remember that tomorrow someone may not be able to get out of bed like you can, and be thankful, someone may not be able to go to work, and if you can be thankful! and if you know someone with a movement disorder try to be empathetic. I am trying to educate people on my daily life because it affects my whole family, and I think it it one that needs to be told.
   Thank you and God Bless. If you would like to follow the blog you can click the follow button, or click the subscribe link on the page! thank you

Comments

  1. This is exactly why I live my life the way I do. If I did everything I wanted, I might be able to accomplish a bit more. However, if I’m. Irresponsible, then my daughter and hubby have to deal with the consequences-not just me. Putting what i want first IS selfish. My hubby has shed enough tears, I don’t want to make life for those I love more difficult than it already is. They are the ones that deal with the worst, see me at my worst, yet still love and care for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mind - Lost at Sea

Anyone had day where they cannot concentrate on any one thing, but everything is moving so fast even  your words are slurred Such is the case I find myself in today, and many Dystonia patients are the same way. These days are very difficult because no one can understand what you are trying to communicate, and as you can imagine this is frustrating for both parties involved especially when all day I here huh,? What was that? Ok say that again. I just usually give up. The feeling of you having no control over your mind is very difficult. You can’t control what you are thinking about or when that thought will disappear, and you’re mind moves on to another topic. This can be very difficult when talking to someone you just jump from one subject to another, and they can’t keep up and neither can you because you don’t remember what you have or have not said, or if you said anything at all. Sometimes you think you are saying something, but it stays in your head, and other times things you

A Desperate Struggle

This week has been a particularly poor week for me physically and mentally. It started off with the diagnosis of neuropothy last week and it has begun to get worse through this week. I am only going on 2 hours of sleep because  Dystonia, along with many other diseases,  doesn't allow your mind to slow down everything just seems to move faster and faster in your mind as you lie there trying to get some rest, but rest seems to allude me.    I know I am not supposed to dwell on what was, but sometimes that is easier said than done as with most things. I feel trapped in my own head and I cannot seem to get out! I dream of Dystonic storms now. When I am asleep I am dreaming about being awake having a storm, or not knowing where I am, and then ultimately it leads to my waking up and having a storm. I cannot tell you how many times I have been dreaming about having a Dystonic storm only to wake up and find out that it is real. It is very weird for me. This week has been so hot I haven

The Constant Pain

One thing I have not really addressed here is the constant pain that Dystonia causes. There is never a moment when Pain is not a reality, because with this disease pain is your reality. There are definitely Times that I feel better than other, but my muscles never stop.    During a recent Dystonic storm I was so exhausted, but my muscles kept twisting and turning I looked like an owl because my neck was turned almost completely around, and my legs would not stop running, and there is nothing that can be done. I have to wait it out, and wait for it to finish. It is like you have run a marathon and you cannot go any farther, but you keep going only because it will not stop. I have gone to the hospital several times with these episodes that do not stop, and they try to give me an I.V. and it does not work because my arms and hands are twisting and thrashing, and I get told to stop it, does not make much sense because if I could have stopped it I would not be in the hospital in the first