Skip to main content

A Deep Dive into the a Manic Episode: A Hilarious Journey

 Ah, the manic episode – that turbo-charged, full-throttle joyride through life where sleep is optional, ideas are boundless, and every impulse is the best idea ever. If only there was a manual on how to slow down this runaway train! Buckle up, folks, because we’re about to embark on a rollercoaster ride through the challenges of taming that manic beast, with a little humor to keep us sane.

First, let’s be real. When I’m in the throes of a manic episode, everything seems like a brilliant idea. Start a new business selling glow-in-the-dark pet rocks? Genius! Buy 300 feet of chicken wire for no apparent reason? Absolutely! But recognizing that I’m in a manic episode is the first step to slowing down. Imagine I’m a superhero with a very inconvenient superpower: the ability to do absolutely everything, all at once, but with zero follow-through. My superhero name? Captain Mania. Now, Captain Mania, it’s time to hang up the cape (at least for a while).

Remember that one time I thought my new shirt gave me superpowers? (my wife does) Yeah, let’s not do that again. I need to practice saying “no” to my most extravagant ideas. I might need to physically restrain myself from diving headfirst into another spontaneous project. Tie myself to the couch if I must (okay, not literally… or maybe?).

Mania loves chaos, so naturally, I need to counter it with tranquility. Think of it like trying to calm a toddler who just ate a pound of sugar. Picture myself as a serene monk in a temple… except I’m still in my pajamas, trying not to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

When my brain is revving like a race car, I try shifting gears with some low-stimulus activities. Puzzles, listening to the sweet tones of Lauren Talley, or watching paint dry – okay, maybe not the last one. But you get the idea. It’s all about slowing down my mental engine without completely hitting the brakes. Think of it as tricking my mind into a leisurely Sunday drive instead of the Indy 500.

My wife is like my personal pit crew. She’s there to help me when my wheels start spinning out of control. I shouldn’t be afraid to reach out and let her know I’m on the manic expressway again. She might even have a few spare hugs, words of wisdom, or reality checks to spare. And if she’s really awesome, she might even sit through my 3-hour TED talk on why squirrels are the unsung heroes of urban ecosystems.

Laugh at myself. Seriously. Manic episodes can be terrifying and overwhelming, but they can also be downright ridiculous. Embrace the absurdity of the situation. The time I acted like my new shirt gave me superpowers? Comedy gold. My attempt to write a novel in one night? Oscar-worthy. By finding the humor in my mania, I’m taking away some of its power and giving myself a much-needed break.

All jokes aside, medication and professional help are crucial. They’re like the safety harness on this rollercoaster, keeping me from flying off the tracks. Always follow my psychiatrist’s advice and keep those appointments. It’s okay to need help – even superheroes need sidekicks.

Slowing down a manic episode is no small feat, but with a bit of humor, a lot of patience, and a solid support system, it’s possible. So, Captain Mania, embrace the journey. Remember, it’s not about stopping the train entirely – it’s about enjoying the ride without derailing. And who knows? I might just find that the slow lane has its own set of adventures waiting for me.

Comments

  1. I can not imagine the journey you are on. I sure love you and pray for you 💙🙏🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing definitely can relate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment