Skip to main content

Schizophrenia: An inside Look from one who Lives it


 Alright, folks, buckle up because today we’re diving into the wild, unpredictable world of schizophrenia. If you’ve ever seen the movie "Inside Out," you know how emotions like Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust run the show in Riley's head. Now, imagine those emotions have gone rogue and brought along some friends: Delusion, Hallucination, and Paranoia. Welcome to my brain.

In "Inside Out," Joy is the bright, perky leader who tries to keep everything positive. She’s like the cheerleader of the emotions, always ready to turn a frown upside down. In my head, Joy is there, but she’s often wrestling with Hallucination, who thinks it’s hilarious to sprinkle in some visual and auditory surprises. Picture Joy trying to plan a fun day, and Hallucination pops up like, “Hey, wouldn’t it be fun if we saw a dragon in the living room?” Not today, Hallucination, not today.

Sadness in "Inside Out" is that blue, mopey character who just wants to lie down and cry. In my version, Sadness has teamed up with Delusion. So, it’s not just, “I feel sad,” it’s, “I feel sad because the toaster is plotting against me.” Delusion can make even the most mundane objects seem sinister. The cereal box? It’s definitely up to no good.

Fear is the jittery, anxious one who sees danger everywhere. In my brain, Fear has a close working relationship with Hallucination. Fear’s like, “What was that noise?” and Hallucination chimes in, “Definitely a ghost.” Thanks, Hallucination, I really needed that. Now I’m terrified and seeing things that aren’t there.

Disgust, who judges everything with a critical eye, is having a hard time keeping up with the chaos. She’s overwhelmed by Hallucination’s constant stream of weirdness. “A talking dog? Really? That’s disgusting,” she says, rolling her eyes. Disgust is the closest to my reality check, though she’s often drowned out by the louder voices.

Let’s not forget Paranoia, who isn’t in "Inside Out" but has taken up permanent residence in my head. Paranoia is like that friend who whispers conspiracies in your ear 24/7. “Did you hear that? They’re talking about you,” Paranoia insists. “No, they’re definitely plotting something.” It’s exhausting, but at least Paranoia keeps things interesting.

Hallucinations are the real wild card here. Imagine your brain is a TV, and Hallucination has the remote, flipping through channels at random. One minute, you’re watching a normal cooking show; the next, it’s a sci-fi thriller where your refrigerator is communicating with aliens. And just when you think you’ve got a handle on things, Hallucination changes the channel again.

So, how do I deal with this unpredictable cast of characters? Humor. Lots and lots of humor. When Hallucination throws in a random talking tree, I try to laugh it off. “Oh, hey, Groot! Didn’t expect to see you here.” When Delusion tells me the toaster is plotting against me, I remind myself that even if it were true, I’m smarter than a toaster. (I hope)

Living with schizophrenia is like being the director of a very chaotic, often nonsensical movie. I can’t always control the script, but I can choose how I react to it. And if I can find a way to laugh at the absurdity, it makes the whole experience a little more bearable.

So, here’s to the wild, wacky world inside my head. If you ever need someone to chat with about rogue emotions or hallucinating toasters, I’m your person. Until next time, keep laughing and remember: it’s all part of the show!

Comments

  1. Thank you again, Josh, for an excellent *inside look*….and doing it while finding treasures amongst the chaos. You may never know how many people you are helping to have the courage to live fully…and in the timeless embrace of God. His Grace empowers us to do what we would not do on our own. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment